The hardware for the loudspeaker attachments have been custom designed and manufactured at our institute. It integrates an actuation mechanism that allows to change the pan and tilt orientation of each loudspeaker driver within a range of 360° and 180° respectively. The design balances the following technical and aesthetic criteria: fast, low noise and stable rotational movements, lightweight and open design that exposes the mechanical and acoustic components. The development process iterated through several prototype designs with the last one being manufactured as a small production series on our in house CNC mill.
The specification of the final design are as follows:
– broad band 60 watt loudspeaker driver ( Visaton FR 6.5 )
– low noise Karbonite gear servo motors ( Hitec HS-755HB )
– full aluminium frame
– brass rotational axes supported by ball bearings
– toothed drive belts for force transmission
– stable center of mass during rotation